Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sanctuary

Now that I'm an at home wife and mom, I decided its about time I take responsibility for this house - another one of my 10 goals this year. The past 5 yrs have proven to me that the house is not going to clean itself! So I finally am committed to organizing, cleaning, and keeping the house in good shape. Sounds like common sense I know, but I was a really bad house keeper.

Since the 2nd week of January, I have learned the lesson that keeping a clean house clean is much easier than cleaning a dirty house once in a while. I've learned some excellent tips and hints from a few resources that I've listed below - my favorite being FLYlady.com. It says you can do anything for 15 minutes - so that's what I do. 15 minutes here and there throughout the day really makes a difference. I can unload and reload the dishwasher; I can fold and put away one load of laundry; I can do a quickie clean of the bathroom sink and toilet; I can straighten up one room in the house (benefit to a small home with small rooms!).

After being a career woman for so many years, I decided to think about what made me successful in my career, and apply those ideas to the house...because this is my job now. I treat my home like
a business now. Certain things just need to get done everyday - just like at work. And in the end - I, my husband, WE benefit (not the management, stockholders, and clients).

The most significant benefit of having a clean, orderly home is one that surprised me - the sense of peace and well being. I love being home even more, because things are in their place, the clutter is gone, I know where to find things in a moment (LOVE that), and it looks pretty. I thought that would sound prideful, but its not - my home is my sanctuary.

Here are some of my favorite resources:
http://www.flylady.com/
http://www.motivatedmoms.com/
http://www.totalmom.com/2008newsite/downloads.html

Thomas is his grandmother's today. Paulo's mom takes him once a week so that I can spend the
day cleaning, doing laundry, getting admin stuff done, a few errands. I miss him so much when she has him, but I sooo appreciate it too. I'm very lucky that I have her so close and that she wants him and then I get to do all my housewife stuff and feel completed and accomplished once I get him back. To be able to finally be the housewife my husband deserves makes me feel good. I prayed that God would give me a heart to be a better home maker and He has.



1 comment:

Amy and Rick said...

My goodness that boy is too darn cute...and Thomas isn't so bad himself!! : ) Har Har!

I LOVE Flylady, although I have to admit that I haven't used her as much as I should...I do employ the 15 minutes a day trick and really like it. It's amazing how much easier it is to keep up with a clean house than it is to clean a dirty one!