Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summertime....

AND THE LIVING IS EASY We've been enjoying ourselves these days, depsite the rain. We been visiting with lots of friends, new and old. Last week my childhood-babysitter-turned-turned friend visited from CA with her 5 mo son Pierce, whom we hadn't yet met. He is so cute! I forgot what its like to hold a baby!! Thomas kept pointing to him saying "ME!" - not sure what that was all about. Jenn and Pirece stayed the night with us - we had a great walk and I cooked a ymmuy dinner - spinach and artichoke cheese tortellini. Its like eating spinach artichoke dip for dinner - without the guilt. The next day my long time friend Laura came with daughters Savannah and Katrina to play. Well, actually, they came to go to the beach, but of course the weather didn't cooperate (when has it lately?), so we all just walked the boardwalk, got ice cream, went on the carousel twice. It was a fun afternoon even without the sun. We rested on Wednesday, then Thursday Thomas and I were off to Maine to visit my college roomies and their kids. Here's a picture for you - 3 roomies, 1 husband, 5 kids and a day of downpour rain. You say chaos, we say thrilling adventure! We pulled out the fun with McDonalds and bowling. Even Thomas enjoyed it - not that he was throwing a large heavy ball, rather running back and forth behind the lanes. This week is Vacation Bible School - which is something I always look forward to. I am a crew assistant once again, and this year I have 5 eager 8 year olds. Its so awesome to have the opportunity to study God's word and lessons through the eyes of a child. Brings me back to the basics, and their questions really get me thinking. The sun has been out occasionally so we've even spent some time on the beach these past 2 days. Thomas loves the water! Monday when we got on the beach I was pulling him in the wagon and as soon as we hit the sand he started throwing out the toys and trying to climb out! He was of the mind "We're here - let me out and get to that water". I planted herbs in my deck baskets - parsley, thyme, basil and cilantro. So I've been doing lots of cooking and recipes. I even made the world's BEST salsa. Okay, the best salsa in the world of Bree. Since I'm so impressed with my cooking and mixing, its only fair to share and you be the judge. Warning - I don't measure!!! Wing it to your taste Bree's Best Salsa 1 15oz can diced tomatoes and the juice 1 small onion (red or white) 2 cloves garlic - grated zest and juice of 1 lime couple of dashes of hot sauce (to your level) dash of ground cumin salt and pepper lots of fresh cilantro mix in a bowl and enjoy!!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hello? You forgot to write how you went to RI and had lunch with the best family in the whole world! Your good friends, Judy and Rich, with their beautiful daughters Amy and Emma! Wah Widdi! xox

The Faiths said...

Pheww...you've been as busy as the rest of the world! Cute pictures of your "big boy" :)