Tuesday, November 10, 2009

God, Grace, Gratitude


A dear, precious friend of mind gave me this sign a recently.  She and I have a long wonderful history, but we've had a few rough patches too. She has given me grace and forgiveness and this sign is a sweet daily reminder of that. 

Its also a daily reminder of the grace God gives us daily, and to remember to give gratitude.  And these days, there is much gratitude to be given.  We've had a huge change in our household and the riches are abounding.

A little background first: Paulo has given me the greatest gift by allowing me to stay home to raise Thomas.  In order to give me that gift, he has had to put in some pretty heavy overtime these past 2 years to make up some of my lost income.  Most weeks Paulo works three 12 hours days, which are really 14.5 hours days with the 1+ hour commute each way.  On these long days, Paulo does not see Thomas at all.  NOT AT ALL.  Then he works two 8 hr days - 10 hrs with commute.  Most weeks he has to use one of his free evenings to project, meetings, business, etc.  So most weeks he's home 1 night a week, sometimes 2.  On his "early days" he gets home at 6pm.  Thomas goes to bed at 8pm.  So that's only 2 hours together as a family.  Not to mention, Paulo is way too wiped out to be doing much around here that late in the evening.

Well, the 4pm to midnight shift became available, and has now become Paulo's shift.  When it was first presented to Paulo, he and I talked about the pros and cons.
PROS:
  • Shorter commute time because not going/coming during heavy traffic.  Shorter commute = more time at home.
  • EVERY morning with us
  • Higher pay rate, therefore higher OT pay, therefore, less OT required
  • Slower and quieter in the shop so Paulo could get a lot more accomplished
  • More free time with us during the awake hours of Thomas' day (and my day too for that matter)
  • More free time to do things around the house, which means more free time on the weekend to just hang out
  • Taking less vacation time for side work and house projects and therefore saving more vaca time for us as a family
CONS:
  • uuuummmmm......NONE

So he has started the new shift - this is our 2nd week.  So far - we LOVE it!!  Of course, there is some adjusting.  I'm used to being on my own a lot, so I have to share my space, my time, my parenting a lot more now, which isn't a bad thing - just different. And its a change I'm willing to make.

This is never something we sought out, we didn't even think about it.  But God loves us so He brought it about - in His perfect timing and His perfect will.  And for this I have a grateful heart.

No comments: