Sunday, December 13, 2009

Top 10 List - Christmas Edition

This is a fun list to make because it either gets you into the spirit, or if you're already in the mood, it keeps you focused on what you want to get out of this season.

10) Christmas music.  As previously mentioned, I sometimes start listening as early as October, but definitely by Nov 1.  I just can't help myself.  I think of it as my biggest indulgence.  I love how some of the songs can bring me right back into a moment, or a place - like my childhood bedroom, or the back roads of VT during a road trip with Paulo,  or the drive between my childhood home and my aunt's house for Christmas dinner.  Does music do that for you too?

9) Christmas movies: White Christmas and Holiday Inn are not just my favorite Christmas movies, by my all time favorite movies.  Why can't life be that sweet and sappy all the time?  I just love the themes, the snow, the songs from all the Christmas movies.  And I don't care about the progress of Hollywood and technology - claymation Rudolph rules!!

8) The warm glow of  Christmas lights in the house and in the neighborhood.  I'm not a big overhead light person - I'm all about ambient lighting all year round, so the tree and the window candles really help my cause.

7) The Christmas tree - we have over 200 ornaments on our tree (I didn't count, the box of hooks was 200 count and we had more ornaments than hooks).  We have some generic balls and baubles, but so many of our  ornaments have history, stories, memories.  Like the couple of ornaments my mom made probably in the early 80's; the bridal ornaments that were a wedding gift; the granddaughter ornament from my grandparents when I was 10yrs old; the small ornament with a photo of baby me sitting with Santa hanging right next to the small ornament with a photo of baby Thomas sitting with Santa; the mickey mouse and donald duck we got as kids to celebrate our family trip to disney and now Thomas is in love with.

6) The food - need I even elaborate?!

5) The warm sentimental feeling of the season.  It seems at just this time of year people smile more, strangers look one another in the eye, and people still seem to be kinder, despite all the stress this time of year.  Or maybe its not them, but me.  Maybe I pick my own head up out my little world and take better notice.

4) Christmas cards.  As I stated in my christmas letter 2 years ago:  "Whereas Christmas cards can be a daunting task, Paulo and I are amazed by our ever-growing list - to be so blessed to have so many family and friends, old and new.  We love hearing from everyone, seeing photos of your children and families, and getting caught up on your lives...."  Aren't Christmas cards and letters such a nice change of pace from bills, catalogs and junk mail?

3) Gifts....GIVING gifts.  So there's no reason to try to say I don't like receiving gifts, cause really, who doesn't.  But I love finding that one gift - sometime gifts plural - that I just can't wait to give.  It doesn't have to be big or fancy or expensive.  Rather, I know its just right and I can't wait to see the recipient's expression when he/she opens it.

2) The real reason for the season - Jesus and His birth.  No matter how commercial this holiday becomes, or how much I indulge in all the "worldly" aspects of this season, I try to celebrate every day the real meaning of Christmas.


1) The traditions.  Why is it this time of year seems to be much more full of traditions than any other time of year?  Or do we just not call our birthday, first day of school and 4th of July activities "traditions"?  I love the old traditions that Paulo and I still carry on: like making french meat pies with my dad, decorating the house in the same ways we did as a kid, and going to the Student Prince for dinner the weekend before Christmas like I have since I was a baby.  And I'm so excited about all the new traditions we are starting together - like getting one new ornament each year for Thomas so eventually he will have them all on his tree.  And watching the christmas movies with Thomas for his first time.  And the newest tradition started as of yesterday...

We took Thomas to Edaville Railroad and it was AWESOME!!!  He is in love with trains right now so we knew it was the right time.  We got there just before dark and Thomas made a bee-line to the train. We were able to ride the big train twice - once during daylight, and once after dark to see all the Christmas lights.  Thomas also rode some of the kiddie rides.  It was freezing, but like all kids, Thomas didn't mind....heck, he didn't even seem to notice.  And despite how chilly I was, I warm and fuzzy inside watching my son have his first train ride!

1 comment:

The Faiths said...

Love your list of Top 10...we have many of the same Joys during the Holidays. I love Thomas' bomber jacket on his train ride...so cute!