Monday, February 1, 2010

Nourish - so what's it all about???

As I sat down to write my list of goals for 2010 - goals because resolutions gets too bad of a rap - I reflected on the idea of word of the year.  This is not a concept I created, but one I've read about on many blogs.  Its the idea that your goals, or your life, or your situations, or your activities should reflect this one word, or be driven by this one word. 

So I picked a word for 2010.  I wish I could say I came up with this word all on my own.  By that, I don't mean of course that I wish I had created a brand new word.  Rather, I wish I had independently decided on THE word that fit MY goals and ME.  But, alas, I did not. I blog I love to read had a word that I just knew was for me. Check it out: http://courtneywalsh.  While I did not want to be a copy cat, the word just kept resonating with me, over and over, and I knew I too had to apply this word to me and my goals.

The word is NOURISH.  Let me first share with you the Webster's definition of Nourish:
to supply with that which is necessary for life, health, and growth.  To cherish, foster, or keep alive, as in a dream.

As I looked at my list of goals, I could see that many of them had common themes - to spend more time, to take more care, to give more value and importance to.  And the few stray goals I had that didn't seem to fit the word I re-evaluated.  Some I decided just had to come off the list.  Why?  Because no matter how I looked at them, they just didn't fit into the Nourish theme, and that seemed to tell me that they weren't really something I wanted to focus on.  They were items I thought I should work on, but my heart wasn't really into it.

So the last items on my list of goals were things that kept tugging at me but I didn't know how to go about them.  When I started to put them in context of NOURISH, these goals took their own shape, became more clear, and I knew they were items I needed to keep on my list.

So my goals list of 2010 (as posted on the right) is NOURISH: Body, Spirit, Marriage, Home, Passions, Relationships and Community.

Each day this week, I will go into more details about how I will go about Nourishing each of these areas of my life. I hope you will consider joining me on this journey to NOURISH myself this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am doing some soul searching about my life. I am blessed in so many ways, however I still feel the need to grown and continue to make a difference in this world.
I started attending a bible study and Love the group and the experience.
I guess when there are so many huge problems in this world, I need to get away from the silly, trite incidnetal issues around me.
I will keep checking in with you and look forward to sharing your journey. LOL, J

Courtney Walsh said...

I love this, Bree. Such good stuff...so true. I love reading the definition again! :) How's it going for you so far??