Friday, November 26, 2010

New traditions

Thanksgiving has been tough for me the past several years.  I've been holding onto the memories and traditions of all the thanksgivings growing up - my childhood home; my mom's cooking; aunts, uncles, cousins and friends all gathered together.

But my childhood home has been sold.

My parents are in Florida.

My cousins and I have our own homes and families now.

Thanksgiving just hasn't been the same.

Nor will it ever be.

Life moves on.   

And you cannot make new traditions, or give old ones new life if you don't open yourself up to let them in.

So this year I decided to really make a concerted effort to focus on new traditions and new memories.

For MY family. 

Yesterday morning, we put on our sweats, hats and gloves and went to the neighborhood park to play soccer - just the 3 of us.  Typically I power walk with my ipod on Thanksgiving morning - I truly enjoy that hour alone.  But I really wanted us to have family exercise disguised as an activity - and it was just plain fun!  For an hour, in the cold, we ran around the field, chased the ball, took shots on goals, and laughed and laughed and laughed!  Thomas LOVES to play soccer, and of course Paulo does too.  (I'm so glad that was the one sport I played and really liked since it seems it will be a big part of my life)

After our soccer game, we walked over to my father-in-law's house to say good morning, have a quick cup of coffee and visit.  Then we headed back home, and warmed up with coffee and pumpkin bread while watching the parade.  The Macy's day parade is a MUST for me - and thanks to DVR the parade was on our schedule - gotta love DVR.  (Next to the iPod I think its the BEST invention - my shows, when I want, and the ability to skip commercials.  But I digress.)

Thanksgiving dinner was at Paulo's brother and sister-in-laws house.  It was delicious meal and a very relaxing  afternoon with the combined families.

We capped the day off with the town bonfire - SO AWESOME!  The fire is lit at 7pm and lots of people in town come to hang out.  Its a great time to catch up with neighbors and friends, and Thomas got to run around with kids - he loves that  We were home in our jammies by 8:15pm - our bellies full and our bodies tired.  We all slept like babies last night.

Paulo and I both feel like we have finally created our own thanksgiving day...

one that is worthy of making an annual tradition. 
 
 

No comments: